Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sweet Movie (1974)

Spine #: 390

After viewing this film a third time in my life, I decided I was ready to write about it. The first thing anyone should know before seeing Sweet Movie is that it pulls absolutely no punches and requires an open mind to see it for what it really is. If I was asked to explain what it was about in one word that word would be sex, but that wouldn't be completely accurate. The basic story goes as follows; There are two women, one is in the process of going bat-shit crazy, while the other is the captain of a boat/candy dungeon that she uses to get men/little boys to participate in conversation, sexual acts, and eventually their own demise. Without giving too much away, when it comes to bazaar fetishes this film has most of the bases covered. Although you are witnessing all this chaos it is still impossible to be distracted enough not to notice its visual perfection as well as its beautiful and at times haunting score. For example there is a flawless scene that involves an interaction between the woman on the boat and several little boys, where satanic hymn like sounds echo while she "works her magic". Although Sweet Movie is strange and controversial, I wouldn't dare call it an exploitation film... Its far too important/influential to be labeled as such.

IMDB:**********10/10
Netflix:*****5/5

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't gotten to this one yet but I've seen Makavejev's early stuff released through Eclipse and I really enjoyed those films. It looks like bounced further and further off the wall with each movie that he made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I appreciate your input and welcome you as a follower. I havnt seen much of Makavejev's early work, but after seeing Sweet Movie I look forward too it and I also look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on these films!

    ReplyDelete