Sunday, May 1, 2011

Off Topic: The Future (2011)

I was lucky enough to catch one of the first screenings of "The Future" by Miranda July at the Independent Film Festival Boston. This is Miranda's second film, her first being "Me and You and Everyone We Know" (2005) which happens to be one of my all time favorite films. With only two films under her belt Miranda July has become one of two directors without a Criterion film that I can honestly say are my personal favorites, the other director being Harmony Korine (known for; Gummo 1997, Julien donkey  boy 1999, Trash Humpers 2009).





The Future is a Hilariously quirky film that deals with the perception of what the future holds and time itself through the minds of the main characters Sophie (Miranda July), Jason (Hamish Linklater), and Paw-Paw the Cat (Voiced by Miranda July).There are several scenes that are nothing short of brilliant and as a whole the film in perfectly paced.


The Future is part of a hip new era of artistic films and I hope to see it as well as July's previous film someday be part of the Criterion Collection (also, Korine's Gummo should have been in there years ago in my opinion).


The only way I can describe the experience of viewing a Miranda July film is the feeling of being wrapped in blankets. To me its a warm, safe, delightful feeling and I would recommend anyone to see her films. She was there for an amazing Q & A after the film which I recorded on my IPhone so you can watch it if your interested (apologies ahead of time for any shaky camera work).

2 comments:

  1. Just watched this tonight. Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. In my opinion, Miranda is one of the most promising up and coming directors in independent film. She's also a great book writer and story teller. I will be discussing a few of her books soon and highly recommend them. Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete