Monday, May 2, 2011

The Plumber (1979)

Spine #: N/A

One of the few made for television movies in the criterion collection directed by the Australian filmmaker Peter Weir, The Plumber could be described as a psychological thriller/dark comedy, but as a whole I would say it is the definition of 1970's cult horror. Following his other three criterion thrillers; The Cars That Ate Paris,The Last Wave, and Picnic at Hanging Rock, Weir takes us into the cosy apartment of Jill Cowper (Judy Morris) an Anthropologist, and her husband Brian (Robert Coleby).

What begins as a normal day takes an unexpected turn when while her husband is out at work, Jill answers a knock at the door. The man at the door claims to be the plumber responsible for all of the pluming duties in the entire apartment complex, the plumber informs Jill that he was sent there to check her pipes and introduces himself as Max (Ivar Kants). Jill hesitantly allows him in the house and this is where The Plumber's relentless reign of terror begins.

Ivar Kants delivers a brilliant performance as a mentally unstable (borderline psychopath) stalker that does everything in his power to make every scene uncomfortable and at times horrifying.







It seems that no matter what Jill does to try to get rid of him she does not succeed, even when she reaches out to her best friend and husband she cant rid herself of this maniac. The Plumber is quite obviously the origin of The Cable Guy (Jim Carey, 1996) but is done better and much more effective.


The film will give you an uneasy feeling in your stomach from beginning to end due to a pair of outstanding performances from the terrified Judy Morris, and the relentless Ivar Kants.



IMDB: ******** 8/10
NETFLIX: **** 4/5


14 comments:

  1. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    http://anixusa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    http://anixusa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back.
    strainers manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a Great Information about World Day its very nice informative post. thanks for the post. Toronto Plumber

    ReplyDelete
  5. So luck to come across your excellent blog. Your blog brings me a great deal of fun.. Good luck with the site. Slab Leak Repair Riverside

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Water Heater Installation Escondido

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article...
    San Marcos Home repiping

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your blog. Great article. It's most evident, people should learn before they are able to plumber in bristol

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you set out to make me think today; mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you.
    plumbing north hollywood

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you take pride in what you write.This makes you stand way out from many other writers that push poorly written content. repiping Home Hemet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Hemet Water Heater Repair

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pleasant article Nicely done!
    I read your blog its very informative to me. Would you like to get more information about Bridal services so just visit our site. Plumber North Rocks

    ReplyDelete